The Great Dorset Steam Fair, 2nd September - 6th September 2009

Smithy

Well the time of year arrived once again and it was time to head off to Dorset for what has now become the annual pilgrimage. Unfortunately this year I could only make it down for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday and not the usual nine days meaning I had to try and cram everything in that I could.

It had obviously been very wet as arriving late on Thursday evening there was still lots of muddy areas around the site. But luckily after only a couple of showers on the Friday the rest of the weekend was pretty much perfect with Sunday being a great day weather-wise.

As usual there was all the different array of vehicles and displays on offer with a few new ones thrown in for good measure.

Here are the first few pictures, will post more up tomorrow evening when I've got a bit more time.

I will start with some of the bigger stuff that was on display in the military area, with a couple of them being new ones to me.

018.jpg

019.jpg

025.jpg

031.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

042.jpg

046.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

123.jpg

139.jpg

140.jpg

144.jpg

145.jpg

Just realised that the thread title needs to be changed to 6th September :embarrassed::banghead:

Anyway on with the next batch of pictures. We stay in the military section with some of the other vehicles that were on display.

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

032.jpg

037.jpg

039.jpg

047.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

106.jpg

143.jpg

146.jpg

Out of curiosity: Is there a long waiting list to exhibit at the GDSF? I think they could do with more of a Russian vehicle presence :)

GDSF is one of my favourite events but sadly I could not go this year as it clashed with school start for my daughter.

I don't know about the military section but I know the commercial section that we display in can be hard to get into simply due to the amount of vehicles in that section.

As regards waiting lists I'm not sure. Antarmike might be able to tell us more as he is the section leader of the Diesel Heavy Haualge section.

And there was a 434 on a 60 Crane Fruehauf float trailer, on the hard road, but a flat tyre and the inability of the organisers to get a tyre company out, meant it wasn't seen on the show field. ( a strange sickly shade of green if you missed it.)

There was another Explorer in the wood sawing area, as usual, still with the Meadows Petrol.

And one of the stars of the show. (no I didn't get a picture, too busy sorting out other peoples problems) ... The Scammell Commander. This vehicle is in the process of owner changeover. The Army is releasing it to Wayne Meadows.

Also on DHH secttion, a bright Yellow Eka Crusader. For those not in the know, this is the correct colour, since this Eka was a test vehicle at Chertsey, not in service with any Army unit.

Does anyone have pictures to post of the Eka (Ben Freer- NPTimber) or the Commander?

Edited by antarmike

Very nice, especially like the Fordson WOT2. The Humber Heavy Utility has an interesting body too

The Humber,briefly....was rebodied for an army officer to travle around europe? for his vacation not sure when or by who.

Ashley

The Humber,briefly....was rebodied for an army officer to travle around europe? for his vacation not sure when or by who.

Ashley

Although this vehicle is something of a curiosity, it was not unique. By 1948 there other similar conversions with some in UK & the Canal Zone. There was one in BAOR & one in Austria.

The Austrian one was short lived, I assume. I can't believe there was a risk that someone might try to run the engine given the state of the radiator, as the radiator is marked NO WATER, KEIN WASSER I think(!) Given that it was a vehicle depot requirement to label an empty radiator, I just wonder whether it was not a RTA but hit whilst being stored in a vehicle depot?

HumberTourera.jpg

And there was a 434 on a 60 Crane Fruehauf float trailer, on the hard road, but a flat tyre and the inability of the organisers to get a tyre company out, meant it wasn't seen on the show field. ( a strange sickly shade of green if you missed it.)

There was another Explorer in the wood sawing area, as usual, still with the Meadows Petrol.

And one of the stars of the show. (no I didn't get a picture, too busy sorting out other peoples problems) ... The Scammell Commander. This vehicle is in the process of owner changeover. The Army is releasing it to Wayne Meadows.

Also on DHH secttion, a bright Yellow Eka Crusader. For those not in the know, this is the correct colour, since this Eka was a test vehicle at Chertsey, not in service with any Army unit.

Does anyone have pictures to post of the Eka (Ben Freer- NPTimber) or the Commander?

I have got a picture of that Explorer somewhere Mike but can't find it at the mo.

Below are some pictures of the Scammell Commander and Crusader.

125.jpg

096.jpg

097.jpg

099.jpg

101.jpg

I love the show but it is a shame the commercial vehicle section have to parade in the small arena as it is basically just a long que followed by one circuit and a long que out again ! One or two circuits of the playpen would be spectacular for the spectators and free up the small arena for the other displays to have more time ! Just my thoughts on an otherwise great show ! :-D

Interestingly, we met up with the two chaps who had the FWD HAR01 and were looking at the photos that Nick Bladwin took of their yard and published in Old Motor in the late 60's or early 70's. Their fleet was full of ex military stuff and was quite amazing. One of their first vehicles was an ex WD FWD Model B. The rad had a distinctive licence plate mounted on it. We suddenly realised that we had been looking at this rad a few days previously as it is located in our garage. Their yard is in Somerset (outside Crewkerne) and was cleared about 20 years ago. We had a look at it then but all the interesting stuff had gone by then. The FWD rad was bought by a friend from whom we later bought it.

The owners of this yard still have a pair of SUCO's to restore, but they previously owned the Humber Hexonaut (which is now in the USA). When i wandered around the yard there was a rotten CMP and a matador and numerous old chassis. The Matador was so rotten the chassis had collapsed under the weight of the engine. i wish i had taken some photos. There were lots of other interesting vehicles which have gone into preservation, but many moew were srapped. I am certainly looking forwards to seeing their SUCO which they say will be ready next year.

Tim (too)

I love the show but it is a shame the commercial vehicle section have to parade in the small arena as it is basically just a long que followed by one circuit and a long que out again ! One or two circuits of the playpen would be spectacular for the spectators and free up the small arena for the other displays to have more time ! Just my thoughts on an otherwise great show ! :-D

Or we can do what we used to do 12 or 13 years ago and take the big 200 Ton trailer round Dave Hilliers little arena. Now that is a squeeze and calls for some accurate steering!!

Here you go Mike a few more.

We got to the show the Tuesday 8 days before the show, got the trailer on the field the following thursday, and repainted it in the following few days, These photos show us taking it back onto the rally field on the Monday prior to the show. A window of opportunity between the rain.

Thanks for the photos guys. It was my first time at the show and I'll be back for sure! Seeing Antarmike going round the playpen brought back many happy memories for my Dad, who hadn't been near an Antar since he drove one in the Army. My 5 and 3 year old were fascinated by the heavy haulage and the roadbuilding. Must get the Explorer roadworthy soon and join in the fun.

What we do (I shouldnt really say this as others will do the same lol) is wait until around 6 and nip on the end as you usually end up going straight around then!!! Saves wasting fuel :yay:

We got to the show the Tuesday 8 days before the show, got the trailer on the field the following thursday, and repainted it in the following few days, These photos show us taking it back onto the rally field on the Monday prior to the show. A window of opportunity between the rain.

These were taken by my dad as he gets to the show on the Sunday (well I usually do as well but couldn't this year). It's good to get their early and watch it set-up.